What is Ecotourism?
Ecotourism is defined by Ecotourism Australia as “Ecologically sustainable tourism with a primary focus on experiencing natural areas that fosters environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation.”
The ECO certification program
Want to help the environment while you are on holidays? The ECO Certification logo is a globally recognized brand which assists travellers to choose and experience a genuine and authentic tour, attraction, cruise or accommodation that is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable.
The ECO Certification program assures you that certified products are backed by a commitment to sustainable practices and provides high quality nature-based tourism experiences.
There are 3 levels of ECO certification:
- Nature Tourism: Tourism in a natural area that leaves minimal impact on the environment.
- Ecotourism: Tourism in a natural area that offers interesting ways to learn about the environment with an operator that uses resources wisely, contributes to the conservation of the environment and helps local communities.
- Advanced Ecotourism: Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
Jungle Surfing & Jungle Adventures Nightwalks are proud to have achieved Ecotourism certification at the highest level – Advanced Ecotourism.
Climate Action Certification Program
Climate Action Australia was established by Ecotourism Australia to provide the tourism industry with a timely response to the globally important issue of climate change. The Climate Action Certification Program is dedicated to assisting and ranking business’ efforts to reduce carbon emissions.
There are 3 levels of certification:
- Climate Action Businesses: Businesses have undertaken a set of adaption and emissions reduction actions but are not necessarily measuring their carbon footprint.
- Climate Action Innovators: Businesses have undertaken a set of adaption and emissions reduction and are auditing and measuring their carbon footprint.
- Climate Action Leaders: Businesses have incorporated strategic climate change responses across all relevant levels of business planning and operations. They are measuring and auditing their carbon footprint via a creditable system and have undertaken an advanced level of adaptation, emissions reduction and offsetting and are working towards becoming carbon neutral.
Jungle Surfing & Jungle Adventures Nightwalks are proud to have achieved Climate Action certification at the highest level – Climate Action Leader.
Ecotourism & Jungle Surfing
Our mission at Jungle Surfing is to be a benchmark for other tourism businesses operating in wilderness locations and inspire and assist other local businesses within our community, with the ultimate aim of becoming a carbon neutral tourism destination. Our goal is to protect and promote our pristine natural environment through the provision of unique, adventurous and educational activities with a minimal environmental footprint and sustainable operations. Our environmental initiatives include the following:
- All operations run on renewable power from solar panels and micro-hydro turbines, with power stored in banks of batteries and supplied to buildings through an inverter. During times of year with limited sunshine hours, the water flow through the turbines in the creek supplies additional power input. And during dry season with minimal water flow, there is generally plenty of sunshine. We have a back-up generator on site in case of emergencies.
- Our staff operate a small propagation and planting program, having previously operated a full native nursery at Cape Tribulation Resort which is now closed. We utilise native plants in revegetation projects on our own property and provide plants to local residents for revegetation on their own land.
- Our office is designed to optimise natural airflow and light, as well as being insulated to keep it cool through the summer months. We have no airconditioning and use fans as required.
- The Jungle Surfing structure is designed to have a negligible effect on the trees to which the platforms and ziplines are attached. There are no bolts, nails or constrictive cables used in construction. All buildings were erected in previously cleared areas and there is minimal impact on the rainforest environment as we follow small unobtrusive walking tracks. In areas predisposed to erosion, we have built boardwalks and permanent pathways and stabilised banks with re-vegetation.
- All construction materials were carried into the forest by hand and wherever possible recycled materials were sourced for the construction of buildings, boardwalks and platforms.
- Our tours don’t generate noise as they are operated by manpower only.
- We use mass transport in the form of courtesy buses to transfer our guests to and from the tour to minimise traffic and emissions on the local unsealed roads.
- All our cleaning products are environmentally sound and bio-degradable.
- Our effluent is treated in a Bio-cycle Tertiary Treatment Plant, the treated product is discharged to land as per statutory requirements.
- We have a very functional recycling program in place. All our recycling and rubbish is taken to the Cow Bay transfer station. Organic waste is composted in Bokashi buckets.